Here is how you can copy posts or pages from from one wordpress installation to another wordpress installation
Say you have a wordpress blog on a domain and create another blog on another domain. You have some nice posts you want to import to the second domain or nice elements you want to transfere to another blog.
Here is step by step how you can do it.
If you want to export all posts in a category you can do that - jump to step 4). If you only want to export single posts use these steps.
- On the old blog make a new category fx. "import"
- Install a plugin that duplicates posts and pages. fx this one "Duplicate Post" by Enrico Battocchi.
- Dublicate the posts you want to export to the new blog and publish the cloned posts in the import category.
- Go to admin panel and tools. Choose "export" and create the export file.
- Now go to your new wordpress installation go to "tools" choose import. You get a page with different options. Choose the bottom option "wordpress", which is to install the official "wordpress importer" plugin. Install the plugin.
- Import the file you created from the first blog. The category "import" is created automatically on your new blog. You can change the category to whatever you want.
That's it, you have copied your posts to your new wordpress installation.
NOTE: If you want your second wordpress blog to rank in google in SEO. You should know that you cannot have duplicate content i.e. same content on your first blog and your second blog. Google will not rank the content on the second blog. You need to rewrite it or delete the first content and make a 301 redirect to the second page. The correct way if you want to move posts to another domain is to make a 301 redirect, that's an instruction to google that the content has moved permanently to a new url and you will keep the ranking in google or at least 90%.
How to convert a wordpress Page to a Post or a Post to Page
Have you been wondering if it is possible to change a page to a post - or a post to a page. It is possible.
Here is how to do it: Install this Page to Post wordpress plugin "post-type-switcher"
With this plugin you can convert: Page to Post - Post to Page - Page to Attachment - Post to Custom
How to copy single pages from one WordPress installation to another WordPress installation
You can use the export function as described above to export all pages to the new installation. If you only want to export single pages you can do that by first changing the page to a post, then put that post in the import category and use the guide above to copy the post to your new wordpress installation.
How to Copy "Thrive Content Editor" content or "Content Templates" to another wordpress installation
Also if you use "Thrive content editor" (like I do), you can transfere "content templates" created in Thrive content editor, to another wordpress installation by using the steps above. If you copy pages or posts to another wordpress installation where you have thrive content editor plugin installed, you have every things including the content templates copied to your new blog. Templates are not actually copied to the thrive editor, you will need to define the templates in thrive editor of the new wordpress installation, but find a template you want to use on one of your imported posts or pages and save as a new template in thrive editor.
That's really nice to do it this way, because thrive content editor doesn't have an export feature for exporting the content templates.